TikTok, in an effort to help creators monetize their followers and upload longer content, has launched a paywall feature that allows creators to charge their fans for access to their videos.
Called Series, this feature allows creators to choose their own price — between 99 cents and $189.99 — for a collection of their premium content grouped into a collection of up to 80 videos of up to 20 minutes each. (TikTok videos typically have a maximum length of 10 minutes.)
The collections can be purchased through direct in-video links or on a creator’s profile. Creators will be able to keep 100 percent of their revenue, minus platform and processing fees, for a “limited time,” a company spokesperson said, though it’s not clear when TikTok will take a share of the revenue and what the revenue share split will be. is. will be.
As of this week, the Series capabilities will only be available to a select group of creators, though the social platform plans to expand the applications to more creators in the “coming months.” blog post this week’s feature announcement.
The latest TikTok monetization feature comes as rival YouTube launched a monetization program for Shorts, its short TikTok competitor, in February. For the Shorts program, YouTube allocates 45 percent of Shorts video ad revenue to creators; of that 45 percent, users’ payouts are determined by their share of total Shorts views per 30 days. For longer, traditional YouTube videos, the breakdown is simpler: 55 percent of ad revenue goes to the creator, while the remaining 45 percent goes to YouTube.
While TikTok is mostly known as a short-form platform, the Series feature seems to provide more options for longer-form creators to use the platform and monetize their followers directly.