Windows 11 KB5017389 is the first optional preview update for version 22H2 and is being rolled out to the public with many improvements. The patch is being rolled out through WU, but Microsoft has also published direct download links for offline installers of Windows 11 KB5017389 in the update catalog.
KB5017389 is not a mandatory update for Windows 11 22H2 Update, but it is the first optional patch with many bug fixes. This patch can only be installed on Windows 11 version 22H2 (version 21H2 or the original Windows 11 does not support updates released before version 22H2).
The update is listed as “2022-09 Cumulative Update Preview for Windows 11 Version 22H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5017389)” and it brings the system to Build 22621.608. To download and install it, click the download button under the optional updates section of Windows Update.
When done, reboot the system to finish applying the changes. This is a pretty big optional preview update and you’ll need to reboot the system when prompted. The installation can take longer than five minutes and only one reboot is required to complete applying the changes.
As always, changes to this patch will roll out to the public with the October 2022 Patch Tuesday cycle.
Download Links for Windows 11 KB5017389
Windows 11 KB5017389 Direct Download Links: 64-bit
The link above leads to the Microsoft Update Catalog, the library of offline installers for Windows Update. To get started, you can click the ‘Download’ button next to the version of the operating system installed on your computer and run the .msu files to start the update installation.
Windows 11 KB5017389 (Build 22621.608) changelog
Windows 11 Build 22621.608 adds more dynamic Widget content to your taskbar with a feature called ‘notification badging’. The notification badging reminds users when they have unread alerts in the widgets.
When you click on the badge, you’ll see a banner at the top of the board so you can learn more about the news story or update that triggered the notification badge.
Windows 11 Build 22621.608 also fixed an issue where updates to the Microsoft Store would end abruptly. Fixed another bug where IE mode causes tabs to be reloaded in a session. Microsoft has fixed an issue that requires apps to be installed if they are not signed by the Microsoft Store.
Here is a list of all bug fixes and improvements:
- Microsoft has fixed an issue that caused a duplicate print queue. When this happens, the original print queue stops responding and the printer does not work.
- Fixed an issue where MSHTML and ActiveX rules could be bypassed for Windows Defender Application Control.
- Fixed an issue affecting the Miracast UI.
- Fixed an issue where users could not close the lock screen to view the login details screen due to a bug where LogonUI.exe stopped responding.
- Fixed an issue where Dual SIM calling would not work. For example, if no SIM card is selected on the phone and a call is made through the device, the Dual SIM functionality will not work.
- Fixed an issue where the FindNextFileNameW() function could leak memory.
- Fixed an issue affecting robocopy.
- Fixed an issue that caused the Blue Screen of Death error in OneDrive.
- Fixed an issue affecting roaming user profiles. When this happens, some of your settings are not restored.
- Fixed an issue that caused a memory leak when you mount a network drive.